Manila, Philippines, October 20, 2016 - VakifBank Istanbul, the 2013 gold medallists, and Volero Zurich, the 2015 bronze medallists, clash in what will probably determine first place in Pool B of the 2016 FIVB Women's Club World Championship, at the Mall of Asia Arena in the Philippine capital.
Volero became on Tuesday the first team to claim a ticket to the semifinals of the competition after two straight-set wins over Bangkok Glass and Hisamitsu Springs and could complete pool play on a perfect record.
VakifBank could also punch their ticket with a clear win over Volero.Volero Zurich
- In 14 matches in the history of the FIVB Club World Championships, Volero hold a 8-6 record.
- Volero enjoy a 2-1 win-lose record against Asian clubs in the history of the Club Worlds.VakifBank Istanbul
- Playing their 10th match in the history of the FIVB Club World Championship, with an 8-1 record.
- Only defeat was to Azerbaijan's Rabita Baku in straight sets in the 2011 final in Doha.
- VakifBank are one of three Turkish (indeed Istanbul) clubs to have taken part in the FIVB Club World Championships. All three (including Fenerbahce and Eczacibasi) have won a gold medal each.