VakifBank last competed in the 2013 FIVB Women's Club World Championship, winning the gold medal.
Manila, Philippines, October 13, 2016 - VakifBank Istanbul return to the FIVB Women's Club World championship after a three-year absence to open the 2016 edition against Japan's Hisamitsu Springs, who are also competing for the third time. The Women's Club World Championship will take place in Manila from October 18 to 23.Quick links:FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - WebsiteFIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - ScheduleFIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - Teams
VakifBank, who won a gold (2013) and a silver (2011) in their previous outings, have never competed against a Japanese side. Their only encounter with an Asian club was a straight-set win over China's Guangdong Evrgrande Guangzhou in the 2013 semifinals in Zurich.
Hisamitsu Springs, hosts of the next edition of the FIVB Club World Championship next year in Kobe, have finished 5th in both their previous appearances in the competition (2014 and 2015). They have played once before against a Turkish club, stunning Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul last year in Zurich in four sets - though Eczacibasi went on to win the title.VakifBank Istanbul
- They will play their 9th match in the history of the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship, and have a 7-1 record.
- Their only defeat was to Azerbaijan's Rabita Baku in straight sets in the 2011 final in Doha.
- VakifBank are one of three Turkish (indeed Istanbul) clubs to have taken part in the Women's Club World Championships. All three (including Fenerbahce and Eczacibasi) have won a gold medal each.Hisamitsu Springs Kobe
- Hisamitsu Springs have played four matches previously in the Women's Club World Championships and have a 1-3 record.
- Their only win was against Turkey's Eczacibasi VitrA Istanbul in four sets in 2015 in Zurich.
- They are only the second Japanese club in the history of the competition after Hitachi Hitachinaka finished fifth in the first two editions in 1991 and 1992.