Zhu Ting of VakifBank Istanbul punches through the Foluke Akinradewo and Fabiola of Volero Zurich, on her way to joining a very exclusive club.
Manila, Philippines, October 20, 2016 - There were only two players in the history of the FIVB Women's Club World Champioships that had ever scored over 30 points in a single match. And suddenly there are two more from one game today in the 2016 edition of the competition in Manila.
Chinese superstar and Rio 2016 Olympic champion and MVP Zhi Ting scored 31 points for VakifBank Istanbul and Ukranian opposite Olesia Rykhliuk another 30 for Volero Zurich in the Swiss team's five-set win over the Turkish side.
Russia's Ekaterina Gamova still holds the competition record of 34 points, scored for Dinamo Kazan against Brazil's Sesi Sao Paulo on their way to the 2014 title in Zurich. And antother Russian star, Tatiana Kosheleva, scored 30 points for Dinamo Krasnodar against Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro last year in Zurich. Both Russians made the 'Over 30s Club' in four set matches.The full list of 'Over 30s':
34 - Ekaterina Gamova (Dinamo Kazan), Zurich 2014
31 - Zhu Ting (VakifBank Istanbul), Manila 2016
30 - Tatiana Kosheleva (Dinamo Krasnodar), Zurich 2015
30 - Olesia Rykhliuk (Volero Zurich), Manila 2016
The Volero v VakifBank game produced a host of other records and all-time highs:
- Both Dobriana Rabadzhieva of Volero and Zhu served 4 aces each, tying the historical all-time high. For Rabadzhieva it was the second time, after her 4 for Azerbaijan's Rabita Baku against Bohai Bank Tianjin in 2012. Another six players top the list (Malgorzata Glinka of VakifBank in 2011, Juliana Costa of Sollys Nestle Osasco in 2011, Diana Khisa of Kenya Prisons Nairobi in 2012, Shen Jingsi of Guangdong Evergrande Guangzhou in 2013, Aicha Mezemeta of GS Petroliers Algiers in 2014 and Carol Silva of Rexona-AdeS Rio de Janeiro in 2015).
- Milena Rasic of VakifBank Istanbul tied the all-time record of most blocks in a game set the day before in Manila with 10 by Carol Silva of Rexona Sesc Rio de Janeiro. Carol's 10 had broken the record of 9 set earlier on the same day by Zhu.
- Volero's 11 blocks in the game was a tournament high for a single match, improving on the 9 of Rexona Sesc Rio de Janeiro against PSL - F2 Logistics Manila. Quick links:
- FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - Website
- FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - Results & Schedule
- FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship Manila 2016 - Teams